Emergency Services Unit (ESU)
The Emergency Services Unit (ESU) provides supplemental fire and emergency medical services (EMS) operations to the fire department. This is the most demanding volunteer program, both physically and in time commitment. Members are normally selected from the graduates of the Citizens Fire Academy or the Fire Academy Alumni Association.
Established in 2005, the ESU provides supplemental operational assistance specifically in the area of the fire, EMS, disaster, and related emergency activities. Based on the Federal “Community Emergency Response Team”(C.E.R.T.) and Fire Corps concepts, the LSFD has taken the program a step further.
ESU members are hand-selected volunteers that become an extension of the department’s fire and medical operations. Members are required to attend training twice a month and are expected to participate in certain department operations.
After appropriate training, member duties include:
- Assignment to a duty crew at a firehouse and direct participation in emergency response activities (after additional training)
- Assisting with fire and emergency calls
- Assisting in an administrative capacity
- Being “called out” to assist in specific emergency situations
- Helping with disaster support activities such as flood and wind storm response
- Performing traffic control at events and incidents
- Supporting community events
ESU members receive:
- Ability to assist in community events and help with additional support services within the fire department in areas that interest them
- Ability to attend meetings once a quarter to receive instructions on topics like fire and safety demonstrations, guest speakers, and to discuss fire department-related issues important to the community
- All training, equipment, and uniforms
- Can move on to the ESU – fire and EMS operations section
- Federal Homeland Hero benefits
- Meeting with the Fire Chief in a social setting at least annually
- An opportunity to join the Firefighter’s Association
- Workers Compensation Insurance
Sign up for the Program
To sign up for the program, please complete the Volunteer Contact Form.
For more information, please email email@example.com to get in contact with our ESU members.